We are calling on Islington Council to pass a motion to reject a ‘no deal’ and to support holding a People’s Vote on any Brexit deal, including the option to remain.
In the recent election, 57.6% of Islington voters supported parties that want the UK to remain as members of the EU, with over 86% backing parties that support voters having a final say on any deal.
It's clear that after three years the best possible Brexit deal is to remain, and it should be the people that make that decision.
As Islington residents we believe it is important that our local council:
- notes the negative impact on Islington residents, businesses and public services caused by uncertainty over the terms of leaving the EU,
- notes the stress and anxieties caused to EU Citizens currently living in the UK and reiterates its call for them to receive full legal rights to remain living and working in this country immediately,
- notes that the London Assembly and twelve London Boroughs have passed motions in favour of a People’s Vote,
- notes that, in the EU elections in Islington, a majority voted for parties that clearly support remaining in the EU,
- observes that Brexit talks between the Government and the Opposition have failed to agree on any form of Brexit, and
- does not believe that “no deal” is preferable to remaining in the EU.
If necessary to allow sufficient time for a public vote, we also believe Islington Council should support an extension to the Article 50 deadline of 31st October 2019.