Crime in Islington is a serious problem. There were over 7,000 violent offences in our borough last year. Theft from people is more than twice the London average. Bike theft in Islington is nearly twice the London average. Even the former Labour Mayor of Islington said that Labour has failed to act against knife crime. No wonder people tell us they don’t feel safe and that the Labour Council isn’t listening to their concerns.
With the Mayor of London closing police stations and Islington Labour making poor spending choices, residents’ concerns are too often ignored. And while most police officers do an amazing job, we have also seen women, black people, and LGBT+ people failed by the system.
Liberal Democrats have the right policies so that everybody, wherever they live and whatever their age, can feel safe.
We will join up services to provide a united front to cut crime:
- Knife crime reporting from hospitals.
- Mental health support in every police station.
- Safety audits of every estate.
We will work to get policing that serves all our communities:
- More locally-recruited police and strengthened neighbourhood teams.
- No more closures of police stations and counters.
- A local Victims Commissioner to give every victim a voice.
We want Islington to be a safe place for our young people, but under Labour spending on youth services has fallen by 74% since 2010.
- We will support existing youth clubs and provide a safe space for young people in every neighbourhood and large estate.
- We will work with local businesses to develop borough-wide mentoring and skills developments programmes for young people, especially those most at risk.