Islington Liberal Democrats support Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs). They reduce pollution and traffic, and encourage active, healthy alternative modes of transport such as walking and cycling. However, the introduction of LTNs needs to be done with sensitivity to the needs of the local community, especially groups, such as the elderly and disabled, who are more dependent on cars.
Big Changes are coming to Barnsbury, such as the council's plan to introduce a Low Traffic Neighbourhood and changes to Barnard Park and the Barnsbury Estate.
Islington Liberal Democrats want to hear what you think.
Local Liberal Democrats have voted overwhelmingly to support the cross-political community group Community Plan for Holloway. The aim of the group, created in 2016 when Holloway Prison for women closed, is to ensure the views of Islington residents are heard in deciding how the Holloway Prison site is used.
Their 2017 consultation, in which 900 people took part highlighted three priorities: green space, housing, and a women’s building.
Following the suspension of Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn from the Labour Party, we asked Labour councillors if:
- they agreed with the Equality and Human Rights Commission(EHRC) report’s findings into anti-Semitism in Labour?
- they agreed with Labour Leader Keir Starmer’s message to those who think allegations of anti-Semitism are exaggerated or a factional attack?
- they supported the decision to suspend Jeremy Corbyn?
What do Labour Islington Councillors think about Jeremy Corbyn's suspension?
The Islington Labour Party has some serious questions to answer
Following the suspension of Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn from the Labour Party, it is time for Labour leaders in Islington to answer some basic questions:
- Do they agree with the Equality and Human Rights Commission(EHRC) report’s findings into anti-Semitism in Labour?
- Do they agree with Labour Leader Keir Starmer’s message to those who think allegations of anti-Semitism are exaggerated or a factional attack: “Frankly, you are part of the problem too. And should be nowhere near the Labour Party”.
- Do they support the decision to suspend Jeremy Corbyn?
If the answer to any of the questions is not a resounding YES, will they please explain to the people of Islington what they do believe in? And how they can still remain members of Keir Starmer’s Labour Party?
Islington Liberal Democrat Victoria Collins has spoken passionately in support of Universal Basic Income (UBI) at the Liberal Democrats Autumn Conference 2020. Watch Victoria's speech below:
Islington Liberal Democrats question the lack of information from Islington Council following the take-over by Centrica.
In the on-line debate on 26 August about Low Traffic Neighbourhoods, Liberal Democrat Kate Pothalingam highlighted Labour’s lack of engagement with local people. She asked:
‘What lessons has the Labour Council learned from its Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) rollouts so far?
Responding to reports that China has passed a sweeping national security law giving it new powers over Hong Kong, Liberal Democrat Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Alistair Carmichael has called on the UK Government to act swiftly.