Ahead of the 3 May 2018 Local Elections, the Islington Liberal Democrats are delighted to announce our 2018 Manifesto
What we will do to Improve Islington
Liberal Democrat Councillors will prioritise:
- 1,000 new social rent homes by building on disused sites, together with a proper repairs programme to bring existing council homes up to a good standard
- A clamp down on moped and knife crime through increased police presence across the Borough, together with better access to youth services to counter the influence of gangs
- Cleaner air by installing air pollution monitors at our primary schools, improving access for cyclists, and ensuring better consultation on roadworks such as at Highbury Corner
- Reversal of the Labour Council’s recent 33% increase in fees for citizenship applications, so we don’t penalise but welcome our EU neighbours who want to stay
In the last few years, Islington Liberal Democrats have:
- Protected leaseholders across the Borough from over-billed building works, and collected over a tonne of food for the homeless and those in need
- Collected views from hundreds of residents on local crime & safety to press the Police Commander to increase police presence across the Borough
- Campaigned against road closures and air pollution from diverted traffic around Highbury Corner
- Campaigned for an Exit from Brexit and equal treatment of EU nationals
Holding the Council to Account
In the last few years, Islington Liberal Democrats have also:
- Highlighted Council inefficiency over Barnard Park, where enough money to build 10 new council homes was wasted on consultations
- Collected thousands of signatures with local business against Council plans to extend parking control, and revealed Council incompetence on “illegal” fines at Drayton Park
- Supported local independent traders against a new Sainsbury’s on Blackstock Road
- Fought to keep elderly day care centres open against Council plans to shut them down
Liberal Democrats – our Values
The Liberal Democrats stand for individual freedoms, for fair working and living conditions, and for the support you need when you need it.
That is why we are so passionate about the NHS and mental health, about well-funded schools and the environment, about citizen rights and local decision-making, and about protecting the most vulnerable.
And that is why we are so determined to Exit from Brexit, for the damage it will do to all that we value, and for the walls it builds between us and Europe.
This is what the Liberal Democrats stand for.