If we win the next election, we will stop Brexit by revoking article 50 and remaining in the European Union.
People deserve better than Boris Johnson’s No Deal Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour Brexit.
At the next election, voters can instead choose the Liberal Democrats, and our clear and unequivocal policy to Stop Brexit.
Before an election is called, the Lib Dems will continue to work cross-party to prevent a dangerous No Deal Brexit, and support a People’s Vote, with the option to remain. We will do all we can to fight for our place in Europe, and to stop Brexit altogether.
There are a number of things you can do to help stop Brexit:
Register to vote - An election may be called at any time, so if you are not already registered or need to update your details, don't delay! You can register to vote at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote if you are at least 16 (you can vote from your 18th birthday), live or study in the local area, and be a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union (EU) citizen
Register for a postal vote - Snap elections are unpredictable and it can be hard to know if you'll have time to vote on the day. With our busy lifestyles, it can be much easier to up register for a postal vote instead at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
Get a Stop Brexit Diamond for your garden or balcony - Show your support for remain and the Liberal Democrats by hosting 'stakeboard' with with or our Stop Brexit diamonds on top. To get one, simply register your details and one of our local volunteers will be in touch.
Put up Stop Brexit Poster in your window - Got less space? This is a simple and easy way to show your support for remain and for the Liberal Democrats ahead of the next election. To get one, simply register your details and one of our local volunteers will be in touch.
Join the Liberal Democrats - If you haven't already... As the main party of remain, every new members helps strengthen our work to stop Brexit. You can join from as little as £1 a month!
- Follow up on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date on the latest activities
There are also other ways to get involved in our local activities.
Islington Council Petition
We are also calling on Islington Council to pass a motion to reject a ‘no deal’ and to support holding a People’s Vote on any Brexit deal, including the option to remain.
In the recent election, 57.6% of Islington voters supported parties that want the UK to remain as members of the EU, with over 86% backing parties that support voters having a final say on any deal.
It's clear that after three years the best possible Brexit deal is to remain, and it should be the people that make that decision.
As Islington residents we believe it is important that our local council:
- notes the negative impact on Islington residents, businesses and public services caused by uncertainty over the terms of leaving the EU,
- notes the stress and anxieties caused to EU Citizens currently living in the UK and reiterates its call for them to receive full legal rights to remain living and working in this country immediately,
- notes that the London Assembly and twelve London Boroughs have passed motions in favour of a People’s Vote,
- notes that, in the EU elections in Islington, a majority voted for parties that clearly support remaining in the EU,
- observes that Brexit talks between the Government and the Opposition have failed to agree on any form of Brexit, and
- does not believe that “no deal” is preferable to remaining in the EU.
If necessary to allow sufficient time for a public vote, we also believe Islington Council should support an extension to the Article 50 deadline of 31st October 2019.